Beyond traditional study and work abroad opportunities, the College encourages student organizations to host international experiences for your members. The College policy is built upon the Sponsored Group International Travel Policy, which began in winter 2013 for all student organizations in the College of Engineering – please visit this webpage often for additional information.
Dates and applications for the 2016-2017 year will be available in August.
Until then, please familiarize yourself with the basic outline of the process as found below.
Student Organization International Experience Process
- Confirm your registration status at the University of Michigan through Maize Pages.
- Attend the Go Blue, Go Abroad! Workshop to learn more about planning a trip, preparing for travel and funding resources.
- Submit the Maize Phase proposal requirements (available via MCompass) by the dates listed in the calendar.
- Determine the technical, logistical, health, and safety details of your organization’s international experience.
- Complete the Blue Phase proposal requirements (available via MCompass) by the dates listed in the calendar.
Upon approval by the College of Engineering:
- All travelers must attend the Pre-Departure Orientation meeting (dates listed in the calendar).
- Some organizations may be required to send representatives to one or more additional pre-departure workshops. Failure to do so may result in the withdrawal of support for the student organizations. The workshops take place in Winter and will be announced in early January.
- All travelers must complete the Wolverine Phase requirements in MCompass by the dates listed in the calendar.
Maize Phase: Purpose
- Instructions/Signature Document: Student Organization Travel Abroad Proposal Procedure
- Questionnaire: International Experience Proposal
- Download, Complete, and Submit: Student Organization Advisor Recommendation Form for International Experience: Maize Phase
- Questionnaire: Brochure Page Information
Blue Phase: Logistics
- Questionnaire:Group Travel Safety Plan
- Questionnaire: Project Safety Plan
- Download, Complete, and Submit: Student Organization Advisor Recommendation Form for International Experience: Blue Phase
- Download, Complete, and Upload: International Travel Itinerary (use the template)
- Download, Complete, and Upload: Participant List with template
- If travel warning destination, Download, Complete, and Submit to IPE: Safety Plan for Group Travel
Wolverine Phase: Registration
- Pre-Departure Resources
- HTH Worldwide Travel Abroad Insurance
- S. State Department Travel Registration
- Self-Guided International Travel Health Inventory & Self-Care Plan
- If your organization wants to travel at a different time of the year, you must contact the Office of Student Affairs at least eight weeks in advance of your travel date.
- If your organization does not complete the international travel process within the timeline noted above OR a modified timeline, the College reserves the right to remove all support for the trip and issue a letter stating as such to the organization president and advisor.
- Funding applications for Spring and Summer 2017 travel will open on January 4, 2017 and will close on February 6, 2017.
A guidebook was developed by Carrie Tamarelli (2012-2013 M-HEAL President) and Sita Syal (2012-2103 BLUELab President) to provide student organizations additional information to consider as they plan a trip. The authors developed the guidebook based on their experiences leading international trips; while this is an excellent resource, continue to work with the College to ensure your organization is following current practice and policies.
Elizabeth Mekaru, IPE Program Manager