Beyond traditional study and work abroad opportunities, the College encourages student organizations to host international experiences for your members. The College policy is built upon the Sponsored Group International Travel Policy, which began in winter 2013 for all student organizations in the College of Engineering.
Student Organization International Experience Process
- Confirm your student org registration status at the University of Michigan through MaizePages.
- Attend the Go Blue, Go Abroad! Workshop to learn more about planning a trip, preparing for travel, and funding resources. All deadlines for this year’s international travel request will be shared at this workshop. It is usually held in mid-October. If you are traveling outside of this timeline or missed this workshop, please reach out to Mariah Fiumara at [email protected].
- Submit the Maize Phase proposal requirements
- The goal of the Maize Phase is for your organization to determine the purpose of your travel and to start thinking about logistics.
- Complete the Blue Phase proposal requirements
- Finalize the technical, logistical, health, and safety details of your organization’s international experience.
- Await approval by the College of Engineering.
- Complete any final requests by the College to secure approval.
- Notify the committee of any changes to the proposal. Resubmit materials for approval, if necessary.
- All travelers attend the Pre-Departure Orientation meeting.
- Complete the Wolverine Phase requirements in MCompass.
- Travel that is approved may need to be canceled due to COVID. We will work with your organization to handle costs, logistics, etc. should this occur.
- If your organization does not complete the international travel process within the timeline noted on IPE’s website OR a modified and approved timeline, the College reserves the right to remove all support for the trip and issue a letter stating as such to the organization president and advisor.
- Funding applications for Spring and Summer 2024 travel opened in October and will close in March.
- Looking for additional funding opportunities, please click here to view those opportunities.
International Programs in Engineering Office – For travel changes, planning, international travel policies, MCompass, and process questions
Mariah Fiumara, Student Affairs Assistant Director – For funding, travel changes, internal team conflicts, and university student org policies and questions